[Kde-women] Many many ideas! Would you like to help?

Ines ines at drury.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:34:22 CEST 2003

Hello Lauri,

	Yes, I agree with you; we shouldn't re-invent the wheel and re-write
existing documentation. At the same time, what I've seen done is a mini
how-to by the "project leader" with all the references to the
documentation you talk about as a welcoming thing.
	The guys in the spanish translation team have a 2 page
"welcome-on-board-and-this-is-where-you-start" link that they send to
every person that joins the project so it might be a bit redundant for
kde-women to have one but it's a better alternative than having to
explain it over and over on the list. I also think it gives newbies the
"personal" touch that they look for when they join.

:)

Ines

Lauri Watts wrote:
>>List the KDE apps that do not have a User Guide i.e. a proper doc and try
>>to get people to write docs or part of a doc.
>>Lauri: what do you think about that? Would that interfere with your team
>>work? It's just an idea as I noticed new features/apps in 3.2 have no doc
>>yet. But I don't want to mess with other people work. If it's not such a
>>good idea, we'll drop it. We can just add a contact for people who would
>>like to help with that instead.
>

> It's just not as simple as 'pick an app, write some stuff', potential writers
> need to be able to use CVS for instance, since there's no point writing about
> the last version of something.  It's better if they contact me first, so I
> can keep track of who is working on what.
>
> So, new writers are always welcome, but this, and many other things, are
> already on the "Open jobs" list on www.kde.org.
>
> Why don't you just work on improving and updating that page instead of
> duplicating it on another site?
>
> In fact, I think it would be better for KDE overall if resources were
> concentrated on the main KDE sites.  A translation tutorial, for instance,
> makes most sense as an adjunct or addition to the translation how-to (well
> it's more than a how-to, it's practically a book) on i18n.kde.org, a how-to
> on how to write API docs would be natural for developer.kde.org.  Anything I
> could write to guide a new docs volunteer would be a duplication of chunks of
> i18n.kde.org/docs/
>
> Wouldn't it be better to make the project "improve the existing resources"
> than to duplicate parts of them?
>
> Regards,

  (o_  (define (Pix-signature foo)(cond ((zero? foo)())
  //\  (else (cons 'IS-THIS-ANNOYING??? (Pix-signature (- foo 1))))))
  V_/_ (Pix-signature 42)