[Kde-women] Many many ideas! Would you like to help?

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Oct 17 15:51:00 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 20.45, Mahfouf Anne-Marie wrote:

> List the KDE apps that do not have a User Guide i.e. a proper doc and try
> to get people to write docs or part of a doc.
> Lauri: what do you think about that? Would that interfere with your team
> work? It's just an idea as I noticed new features/apps in 3.2 have no doc
> yet. But I don't want to mess with other people work. If it's not such a
> good idea, we'll drop it. We can just add a contact for people who would
> like to help with that instead.

It's just not as simple as 'pick an app, write some stuff', potential writers
need to be able to use CVS for instance, since there's no point writing about
the last version of something.  It's better if they contact me first, so I
can keep track of who is working on what.

So, new writers are always welcome, but this, and many other things, are
already on the "Open jobs" list on www.kde.org.

Why don't you just work on improving and updating that page instead of
duplicating it on another site?

In fact, I think it would be better for KDE overall if resources were
concentrated on the main KDE sites.  A translation tutorial, for instance,
makes most sense as an adjunct or addition to the translation how-to (well
it's more than a how-to, it's practically a book) on i18n.kde.org, a how-to
on how to write API docs would be natural for developer.kde.org.  Anything I
could write to guide a new docs volunteer would be a duplication of chunks of
i18n.kde.org/docs/

Wouldn't it be better to make the project "improve the existing resources"
than to duplicate parts of them?

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts