[Kde-women] Many many ideas! Would you like to help?

Mahfouf Anne-Marie annemahfouf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:45:05 CEST 2003

Hi,

Here are some ideas for the women.kde-org website and our project in
general. There were a lot of discussions about the project and the tasks we
try to fullfill.
These mail should give a general idea about, what we have in mind :)
This is just a proposal, feel free to flame/add/suppress/critisize/improve
;-)

A very big idea is to have a database full of tasks, that need to be done,
and to get women and
the whole community to do stuff. We, the women, would provide the tools
(webpages, forms, HowTos...) and would be a sort of "motor" for all these
points.

The database should use mysql and this can be used for the website. So, we
can use forms for enter new tasks and for getting assigned to a task.

There will be a lot of tasks, that are to do, and they aren't only for
developers. You should find there a lot of tasks that can be done without
knowing a programming language and that can be done from everyone who wants
to start to contribute or is contributing already. An example for such tasks
can be KHangMan, which would need some improvement at the icons or reviewing
a list of words, that needs some language work. That is only one example and
there can be found easily a lot of more tasks like this.

There will be a database of applications that need short explanations for
the whatsthis help. About that aseigo wrote a tutorial that really helps to
get started with writing whatsthis and can be found at
http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/whatsthis_tutorial/ . But there isn't only
the work to write new whatsthis, also to find out which applications need
whatsthis and make a list of them. (that can be shared between us)
This would be separated in 2 categories:
- the apps that needs the whatsthis help and use QtDesigner (easy)
- the apps that needs the whatsthishelp and don't use QtDesigner (less easy)
Therfore there has to be a form as well to get assigned to an application to
work on.

Problem: as we are in feature freeze, time will be limited to add strings
until the i18n freeze. Do we have time to get this in place before this
freeze? If not, see what branch to work on for 3.3.

A list of classes that don't have API doc can be generated and how to write
this doc
    (that's more for developers)

A tutorial about how to translate is in progress and hopefully we can start
soon with translating our website. We are just waiting for the translation
file and every translator is welcome.

List the KDE apps that do not have a User Guide i.e. a proper doc and try
to get people to write docs or part of a doc.
Lauri: what do you think about that? Would that interfere with your team
work? It's just an idea as I noticed new features/apps in 3.2 have no doc
yet. But I don't want to mess with other people work. If it's not such a
good idea, we'll drop it. We can just add a contact for people who would
like to help with that instead.

List some small bugs in KDE apps. For example, one could use the KControl
Center and see if all the buttons are consistent (I noticed for example that
some Apply are enabled even if any change was made, this is an error). See
if all keyboard shortcuts are consistent. See if each app can be used via
the keyboard without the mouse (ask in accessibility about that, I saw a
mail on that and it seems to me very important yet developers usually
concentrate on big features, not on small stuff)
See how to fix that. Are the menus consistent (for example in Games or in
Edu)

Make a list of wanted apps. I often meet new developers and they don't
know what to code. In the Edutainment area, there can be things to be done:
an app to make kids learn the time, a simple paint program for very young
kids with stamps, .... I am sure that you have many ideas!

I believe that if we can succeed in partially solve all those small
problems, we'll make KDE really better for the end user.
We, KDE-Women, can provide the website and maintainance of all that, plus
being involved as well. We'll also lead the translation of KDE websites as
we'll be the first one to use i18n. Now, don't we rock?

Those are just some ideas of what could be done in KDE by us.

If we agree on some points, we can then share ideas on how to do it.

Best regards,

annma & frauke