When will KSnapshot be fixed?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Jun 6 02:28:48 UTC 2013

On 6/3/2013 3:18 AM, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Am 03.06.2013 01:18, schrieb Doug:
>> I have the 6-month-old KDE-Win on my Win 7 machine, and a brand-new
>> download of KDE-Win on a Win 8 machine, and in
>> neither case does KSnapshot work.  On the Win-8 machine, once it is
>> invoked, it is impossible to exit to its menu,
>> neither by Enter or any other means I could find. The only way out is to
>> restart Windows.
             By using the computer case push button!
>>   I forget what the symptoms are
>> on the Win 7 machine, since I took the app down some time ago.  Both
>> Windows machines are running 64 bit versions.
>> I'd really like to see this work. I use it in Linux frequently, and it
>> is a big improvement over Microsoft Snip.
> Can you please make a bug report on bugs.kde.org for that? We can try to
> fix this (I think KSnapshot did work already on Windows, so it shouldn't
> be such a big problem), but of course we cannot promise that ;-).
Went to the KDE Bugtracking System  and logged in. There is a 1 in a
circle, "Pick a product on which to enter a bug."
so in the left hand box I wrote kde on Windows, and in the right hand
box, I wrote KSnapshot.
But there is no number 2, or any place to pan down to, or anything.
Apparently I used to be able to work this,
because I found a KPatience bug report that I had filed some time ago.
(I don't remember what the bug was--
KPatience seems to be working fine on both Win7 and Win8.)  Trying to
use the website from Win7.

So, I'll report it here, and you can forward the bug report to whoever
gets it. All reports are for 64-bit systems,
updated by Microsoft every day, it seems!

As of tonite:
Tried KSnapshot on Windows 7. (You already know from an email of a few
days ago that I could not upgrade the KDE
installer downloader. That's another bug!) First try: Could not exit to
menu with Enter key, but clicking or double
clicking (not sure) with left mouse button sent me to menu. Only choices
in "Send to" were Glenview or choose
another application, so I chose Gwenview.  Gwenview crashed.  Tried to
"choose another" but now the keyboard
made all kinds of funny symbols in the send to box.  Rebooted. Tried
again: This time, could not exit the rectangle
choose dingus with the + signs at the corners, at all.  Had to reboot.
Even if the original version worked, send to
Gwenview is no advantage of Snip Tool. The advantage of a working
KSnapshot is the ability to sent to a
printer directly. Without that, why bother? (And especially in Windows,
which has no good graphic tool,
like Gwenview is in Linux.) So Gwenview crashing in Win7 is another bug!
If it has been squashed in a later upgrade,
I guess I'll never find out.

In Win 8, got the second problem the first time. Win 8 kde is up to date
as of a couple of weeks ago at most.
Only way out was to push the switch on the computer case. Could not
reboot from the screen, but Win8 is
stubborn about letting you actually DO anything!

--doug