RFC: switching to python 3

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Sun Jan 8 23:29:52 UTC 2012

Am 04.01.2012 15:19, schrieb Wolfgang Rohdewald:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2012 00:01:02 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>> If you have some more ideas or comment please comment below, otherwise
>> we will try to switch in the coming few weeks before 4.8.0.
>
> on April 8, 2011 I proposed to remove obsolete code as below.
> Switching to python 3 might be a good time to do that - but
> I would not do it

> there are some things in emerge which can not be cleaned
> because the API for the old classes based on baseclass
> differs from the API for the new classes based on EmergeBase
> like buildType which is a string in baseclass but a method
> in EmergeBase.
>
> also those old classes make it more difficult for
> new developers to find their way through the source.
>
> and pylint complains about a lot of duplicate code...
>
> I propose to
>
> 1. create directy emerge.obsolete parallel to emerge
>
> 2. move the deprecated classes and all recipes using them
> into emerge.obsolete
>
> 3. hope that recipe writers delete some of the
> old recipes or port them to the new classes

I don't think there is a need for so much hassle, since the kde-4.7
branch will not be deleted and if really required we can make branches
for kde 4.8 and 4.9 based on those branches for python 2. Also, all
recipes I found in emerge are either deprecated, unmaintained, or for
testing only:

testing/aki/
testing/cursor/
testing/kdebindings/
testing/kdeedu-playground/
testing/kdepimlibs-test/
testing/kdeplasma-playground/
testing/keduca/
testing/libantlr/
testing/libantlr-src/
testing/lyx/
testing/new-openssl-src/
testing/okular-backends/
testing/step/ (see also kde/kdeedu/step/)
win32libs-sources/libgmp-src/ (we should use mpir-src instead, I will
fix that)

This means that I can remove emerge/bin/base.py, emerge/bin/kde_build.py
and emerge/bin/msys_build.py.
In another commit I will remove the rest of the import base' since these
are not necessary since quite some time...

thanks for pointing this out,

regards,
Patrick