RFC: switching to python 3

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Wed Jan 4 14:19:33 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012 00:01:02 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> If you have some more ideas or comment please comment below, otherwise
> we will try to switch in the coming few weeks before 4.8.0.

on April 8, 2011 I proposed to remove obsolete code as below.
Switching to python 3 might be a good time to do that - but
I would not do it

there are some things in emerge which can not be cleaned
because the API for the old classes based on baseclass
differs from the API for the new classes based on EmergeBase
like buildType which is a string in baseclass but a method
in EmergeBase.

also those old classes make it more difficult for
new developers to find their way through the source.

and pylint complains about a lot of duplicate code...

I propose to

1. create directy emerge.obsolete parallel to emerge

2. move the deprecated classes and all recipes using them
into emerge.obsolete

3. hope that recipe writers delete some of the
old recipes or port them to the new classes