FOSDEM 2012

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Nov 18 23:43:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Ralf Habacker
<ralf.habacker at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Last year people were very interested in KDE on Windows and one of the
>> post-event conclusions was it would be nice to have CDs with KDE on
>> Windows to give to attendants (i. e. instead of downloading
>> everything, distribute it in a CD).
>>
>> Crazy me, I was thinking maybe we could take advantage of the 45-day
>> grace period for activation Microsoft offers and maybe create a live
>> CD with KDE on Windows. If we could replace Aero with Plasma, so that
>> it looks like "KDE with a Windows kernel", even better.  I have not
>> really conducted much research into this (especially on the licensing
>> issues) but, what do you think?
>
> Sounds good.
> Technical speeking to distribute  KDE on a CD do not requiry very much
> efforts: Download and install a full release, write a simple executable or
> batch file which inits kde and starts the desktop and one to shutdown kde.
> Mastering could be done with an usb stick.

Great.

What do you think of the Live CD/DVD idea? Do you have any experience with that?

> What kind of amount you are thinking of ? Who will make the cd label and
> burn the cd's ?

We have not discussed that yet (we only got confirmation for the room
5 days ago) but it's a good moment to start :-)

There are about 5,000 visitors to FOSDEM every year. To make an
estimate of how many CDs to burn, we could ask distributions (Kubuntu,
Fedora, Suse).

As for designing the CD label and burning the CDs, it really depends
on how many we are going to burn and how many people are going to burn
CDs.

If we burn only a few tens per person ( < 50), maybe we could "print"
the logo on the CD using LightScribe. That means the logo has to look
good in black and white. LightScribe is quite slow (at least it was,
the last time I used it years ago).

If we want a color logo and/or a single person has to burn a few
hundred CDs, then LightScribe is too slow. Stickers would be it.

What's the logo to use? This one?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__JNFVYfijS4/SeRlJ-8Im1I/AAAAAAAAAcg/mI6iFVYoKd0/s400/kdew.png

Something else?

--