MSYS Mingw packages with MSVC

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Jul 27 11:08:36 CEST 2010

Andre Heinecke schrieb:
> Hi,
> I was just talking to Patrick (von Reth) about packages that only support a
> Unixoid build system. We were thinking about using binary packages (as we do
> now) but make the source packages for EMERGE_SOURCEONLY Hard depend on
> MinGW(-w32) and MSYS even if the compiler is chosen to be the proprietary
> Microsoft one. And archvie compatibility through renaming the dll.a to lib or
> using pexports.
>
> Any ideas on that or objections to having MinGW installed as MSVC user?

One problem I see is that for that package no debugging information will
be available. One reason for using source packages instead of the
related binary one is the possibility to have debug symbols .

> This would improve in our opinion the current situation where serveral
> packages are just blocked if you do not use MinGW/Msys

to which packages are you refering ? Then we talk better about options
how to solve this blocking :-)

Regards