showstopper problem with kmail filenames with colons - file names that are not allowed on windows

Karol Depka Pradzinski karolrvn at verknowsys.com
Fri Jan 29 23:49:00 CET 2010

Hi.
Foreword: I tried to search for a solution for this quite hard on Google and
Nabble with absolutely no results. Is it possible, that I am the only one with
this problem? Nah...

I cannot use my KMail (and possibly Kontact in general) data from Linux under
Windows because there are lots of files with colons in names (which are illegal
chars for DOS/Windows file names). Possibly other illegal chars are there too.
What can I do?
Is there any "escape sequence" for these characters in kde-windows ?
Could I use KRename mass-rename? But rename to what?

Examples of file names:
/home/karolrvn/Mail/sent-mail/cur/1257274396.1241.emLSY_2,S:2,S ( few
thousands of these)

/home/karolrvn/.kde/share/apps/kmail/karolrvn:@hosthidden.eu:110

Notice the colons.

Version information:
KMail
Version 1.12.2
Using KDE 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)

Wouldn't it be wiser if the entire KDE had policy of not using characters
illegal in Windows since there is Windows port of KDE and there are people who
use both OSes and migrate between them?

Also: if the files will get names usable on Windows, will I be able to use them
under Linux version of Kontact again (hopefully without renaming back), shall
such need arise?
I'm afraid, that if KDE on Windows will have a workaround of possibly
replacing ':' with '_' then I won't be able to rename them back to Linux
naming (because of the loss of information in names), shall the need arise.
Maybe it would be better to use e.g. %3A for ':' as in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding ?

Although percent is also not entirely "safe" character in file names either, so
I personally would avoid using it.

Please help me. I can hardly use e-mail now, when on Windows, because of the
aforementioned problem. If this issue is not resolved, I'm afraid, that my
(rather interesting) relationship with Kontact (and possibly KDE in general)
will end after many years and I will probably switch to something like
Thunderbird which seems 100% cross-platform.
Also I bet there are and will be other people with this problem.

TIA
Regards,
--
Karol Depka Prądziński