Twitter and 4.4

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 13:19:12 CET 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010 12:25:41 Andrew Manson wrote:
> On 11 February 2010 11:53, Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > so here's a summary of what we have at present:
> >
> > http://community.kde.org/Promo/Material/social_media
>
> I follow the KDECommunity twitter account, I quite like it mainly because
> its a collection of posts that are chosen by a human ( not just a catch all
> syndication from the planet like the KDE one on identica ).

Yeah, more or less a feed from the Dot I think (so highlights only)

> What I would like to see is a twitter account for each of the (social) KDE
> modules like KDEedu, KDEpims and KDEWindows etc. I know thats really a
> comment for one of the publicity lists but I'm not subscribed to any of
>  them so I won't be able to partake in the conversation ;) but just because
>  there isn't a twitter account for each of the modules that doesn't mean
>  that KDEWindows can't have one!

Very true :-)

>  If there was some way for me to get
>  information about the project ( apart from talking to the devs every day
>  or becoming a dev ) I could take over the Twitter account for now.

I'll have to leave it to someone actively involved to suggest a means - there
isn't enough on this mailing-list?

As for you making a kdewindows (or similar) Twitter account - I don't see a
problem. Anyone else here have a view? I'll raise it on promo too and let you
know.

>  Maybe
>  we could organise a centralised owner for it ( KDEev? ) that will give out
>  the details to other members so that they can post to the account??

Probably you could just own it. The main thing we want to do is keep track of
who owns things and maybe also some of us take the user account details so
that if you disappeared then we could pass it on to someone else.

>  or is
>  there some way to have a twitter or identica account where multiple people
>  can login and post without having to just syndicate blogs or something?

I don't know. Another possibility would be to set up a kdewindows group, but
then anyone can post to those and it could get noisy, but perhaps noise is
better than silence ;-)

>  Just some ideas, might help get the message of KDE for windows out there
>  for devs and users alike!

Yep, as a promo peep there are plenty of areas that don't get as much exposure
as they should. It's a balance with KDE Windows between getting people
interested but not pushing it too hard because there are still plenty of rough
edges.

Cheers,
Stu