KDE-dependent projects, what to do?

Eduard Sukharev kraplax at mail.ru
Sat May 30 04:45:16 CEST 2009

On Пятница 29 мая 2009 16:14:20 Andreas Stricker wrote:
> Ben Boeckel schrieb:
> > I have a KDE-based project and I was wondering how projects
> > outside of KDE that use KDE are to distribute them. Do I create
> > tarballs and submit them somewhere to be packaged with the rest
> > of KDE? Put up my own repository for the installer? Thanks.
>
> A good question I'm also facing. One solution is to rely on the
> KDE Windows Installer to install a working KDE environment.
>
> But some Applications are intended for "normal users" and will
> simply overstrain them if they had to install KDE by themself.
> They need a next-next-i-have-no-idea-where-it-goes installer.
>
> As KDE is a quite complex environment this is not easy. And we
> have always to expect that KDE is already installed on the system
> in another version. These must not conflict.
>
> So one solution may be to install the whole KDE environment to
> /ProgramFiles/CustomApplication, configured to also use it's own
> %userappdata%/CustomApplication per user directory. Then there
> are the background services (e.g. d-bus), which also must not
> conflict.
>

> Regards, Andy
If you want to create windows installer packages then you definitely need to
learn windows' emerge system. It's not the Gentoo one or something, but
behaves kind of similarly.

More on how to start with it and compiling the needed KDE dependencies on
Windows you may find at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge
After you compiled everything needed by your project - go ahead and build the
project itself (for starters, without emerge, of course). If you're lucky
enough you'll get your app built and running as simple as on Linux (like cmake
&& make && make install). If not - be sure to popup on #kde-windows channel on
irc://irc.freenode.net/ and ask for help - someone might be not busy and still
awake to help you ;-)
After your project built fine and patched appropriately you'll want to have a
look at some of the emerge scripts - they're python scripts, which are quite
straightforward. If not sure - copy some script and delete/edit some strings
to meet the dependencies of your application. Then, you shoud uninstall your
application from previous simple non-emerge install and try to build it with
your new shiny emerge script :)
If you're lucky enough, then you'll get it installed and all dependencies
should be resolved. There's also a key in emerge (consult --help) to create
packages. This way you may create your very own project's packages for KDE on
Windows :D
Next thing i'd suggest to do is to contact someone responsible for packaging
of KDE on Windows and ask him/her what to do with your script. I guess, Kile
got it's packages pretty same way :)

Above isn't the rule of a thumb and if I missed something or was wrong
somewhere i'm asking more experienced people correct me :) But in common this
seems to be the right way to get packaged for Windows.