KDE-dependent projects, what to do?

Andreas Stricker astricker at futurelab.ch
Fri May 29 18:14:20 CEST 2009

Ben Boeckel schrieb:
> I have a KDE-based project and I was wondering how projects
> outside of KDE that use KDE are to distribute them. Do I create
> tarballs and submit them somewhere to be packaged with the rest
> of KDE? Put up my own repository for the installer? Thanks.

A good question I'm also facing. One solution is to rely on the
KDE Windows Installer to install a working KDE environment.

But some Applications are intended for "normal users" and will
simply overstrain them if they had to install KDE by themself.
They need a next-next-i-have-no-idea-where-it-goes installer.

As KDE is a quite complex environment this is not easy. And we
have always to expect that KDE is already installed on the system
in another version. These must not conflict.

So one solution may be to install the whole KDE environment to
/ProgramFiles/CustomApplication, configured to also use it's own
%userappdata%/CustomApplication per user directory. Then there
are the background services (e.g. d-bus), which also must not
conflict.

Regards, Andy