kdebugdialog redirection to a file

Rob Bayer rob.bayer+kde at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:36:29 CET 2009

2009/3/20 Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:
> Ralf,
>
> On Thursday 19 March 2009, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
>> > Hmm, I've tried to enable kdebug to a file using kdebugdialog,
>> > does this work for anybody on windows?
>> >

>> As far as I know are all debug messages redirected to dbgview
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx
>
> thanks for the response. Yes I knew about debugview which works.
> For some situations it would be very cool to have a user configurable file
> for the log and debug output. Using kdebugdialog --fullmode I found
> that it should be possible, but trying to enable it via kdebugdialog
> or the corresponding kdebugrc files was unsuccessful so far.
>
> One situation were this is interesting is when Kontact or Kleopatra from
> Gpg4win is installed as Admin, but a User wants to help with log output
> to diagnose a problem. Getting Debugview installed is not a good option
> as it means bugging an administrator and getting infos that the user usually
> would not get. Also Debugview is complicated compared to the task at hand, so
> usuability could gained.

I've never tried it myself, but one option would be to change your
executables from WINDOWS to CONSOLE mode so that stderr actually gets
printed on the console and thus can be automatically redirected to a
file using normal > opertations.  Again, I've never tried this myself
so YMMV.  Details at
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_on_MS_Windows#WINDOWS_and_CONSOLE_subsystems

Rob