MSVC 2008

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Mar 13 12:27:04 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Christian Ehrlicher
<Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Ideally, the recently-started CMakePorts project (
>> http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/ ) will CMake-ify everything in
>> win32libs and we'll be able to build the whole KDE, including its
>> dependencies, without downloading any binary.
>>
> I don't know what I should think about this - imho it's much better to try to convince the maintainers to add cmake buildsystem (like I did for libarchive, libpng, pcre and maybe others)

That's the point of CMakePorts.

But some projects just say "ok, show me your CMake buildsystem can do
everything I currently do with autotools/jam/scons/whatever before I
adopt CMake". And sometimes it's just a matter of timing: maybe
project X does not want to adopt CMake now but in two months when they
start having trouble with sonaming with Jam, they'd happily adopt
CMake.

By having the CMake-ification in CMakePorts, other projects can take
advantage of a not-yet-official CMake build system for, for instance,
zlib, lua, libjpeg, etc.

>> Actually, given that Boost, Poppler and others are available with a
>> CMake build-system, should we try building them from source instead of
>> downloading binaries from GnuWin32 and other places?
>>
> We do not download anything from gnuwin32 or somewhere else. All in win32libs is build by our own.
> The only reason why there's a win32libs-bin is that we don't want to build the whole stuff ever and ever again
>(especially since some packages only build on mingw, some need even msys, ...)

Well, we have different points of view here. IMHO it would be better
if all the 3rd party dependencies had a CMake buildsystem and we could
build them automatically with emerge. Adding support for
pure-MSVC2008, and the upcoming MSVC2010, would be easier.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org