MSVC 2008

Michael Seydl michael.seydl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:25:38 CET 2009

On 13.03.2009, at 12:15, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:

>> Von: Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> hassle

>>> The reason why I don't like this is that all win32libs (including
>>> boost,
>> poppler and others) are compiled with
>>> msvc2005sp1 and therefore will use a different msvcrt. This can
>>> lead to
>> problem which are hard to track for
>>> someone without knowledge. Therefore I strongly advise to *not* use
>> msvc2008 with emerge unless you
>>> know what you're doing...
>>
>> I agree but if someone if building its own binaries, I assume he
>> knows
>> what he's doing :-)
>>
>> Ideally, the recently-started CMakePorts project (
>> http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/ ) will CMake-ify everything in
>> win32libs and we'll be able to build the whole KDE, including its
>> dependencies, without downloading any binary.
>>
> I don't know what I should think about this - imho it's much better
> to try to convince the maintainers to add cmake buildsystem (like I
> did for libarchive, libpng, pcre and maybe others)

Actually i think there's no problem providing prebuilt version of
these C-Libs because of their nature of memory managment. Most of the
libaries provide their own freefunc versions, so no problem there.
Only downside would be that you have to include both versions of the
runtimelibs when deploying.

But it would be definitly cooler including these into the
buildsystem :).