MSVC 2008

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Mar 13 12:15:36 CET 2009

> Von: Pau Garcia i Quiles
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Christian Ehrlicher
> <Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Von: Pau Garcia i Quiles
> >> 2009/3/13 Zeke Conner
> hassle
> >> of
> >>
> >> MSVC2005 and MSVC2008 are ABI-compatible, so you do not need special
> >> binaries, as Christian said.
> >>
> >> However, if you want to build your own binaries for MSVC2008, it's
> >> easy: you just need to set KDECOMPILER=msvc2008 in kdesettings.bat.
> >> It's been there for at least six months.
> >>
> > The reason why I don't like this is that all win32libs (including boost,
> poppler and others) are compiled with
> > msvc2005sp1 and therefore will use a different msvcrt. This can lead to
> problem which are hard to track for
> > someone without knowledge. Therefore I strongly advise to *not* use
> msvc2008 with emerge unless you
> > know what you're doing...
>
> I agree but if someone if building its own binaries, I assume he knows
> what he's doing :-)
>
> Ideally, the recently-started CMakePorts project (
> http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/ ) will CMake-ify everything in
> win32libs and we'll be able to build the whole KDE, including its
> dependencies, without downloading any binary.

I don't know what I should think about this - imho it's much better to try to convince the maintainers to add cmake buildsystem (like I did for libarchive, libpng, pcre and maybe others)

> Actually, given that Boost, Poppler and others are available with a
> CMake build-system, should we try building them from source instead of
> downloading binaries from GnuWin32 and other places?

We do not download anything from gnuwin32 or somewhere else. All in win32libs is build by our own.
The only reason why there's a win32libs-bin is that we don't want to build the whole stuff ever and ever again (especially since some packages only build on mingw, some need even msys, ...)

Christian