MSVC 2008

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Mar 13 12:04:58 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Christian Ehrlicher
<Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Von: Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> 2009/3/13 Zeke Conner
>> > When will there be binaries for MSVC 2008? 2005 is quite old eh? And I
>> > already have 2008 installed and dun feel like going through the hassle
>> of
>> > 2005 which I've already tried to before and it was just annoying.
>>
>> MSVC2005 and MSVC2008 are ABI-compatible, so you do not need special
>> binaries, as Christian said.
>>
>> However, if you want to build your own binaries for MSVC2008, it's
>> easy: you just need to set KDECOMPILER=msvc2008 in kdesettings.bat.
>> It's been there for at least six months.
>>
> The reason why I don't like this is that all win32libs (including boost, poppler and others) are compiled with
> msvc2005sp1 and therefore will use a different msvcrt. This can lead to problem which are hard to track for
> someone without knowledge. Therefore I strongly advise to *not* use msvc2008 with emerge unless you
> know what you're doing...

I agree but if someone if building its own binaries, I assume he knows
what he's doing :-)

Ideally, the recently-started CMakePorts project (
http://code.google.com/p/cmakeports/ ) will CMake-ify everything in
win32libs and we'll be able to build the whole KDE, including its
dependencies, without downloading any binary.

Actually, given that Boost, Poppler and others are available with a
CMake build-system, should we try building them from source instead of
downloading binaries from GnuWin32 and other places?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org