some glitches and issues updating to 4.2 RC

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Jan 14 15:10:24 CET 2009

S Page schrieb:
> 4.2 RC!  Wahoo!
>
> http://windows.kde.org/news.php#itemKDE42RCforWindowsavailable doesn't
> say anywhere that to install 4.2 RC you need to choose to install
> version "unstable 4.1.96" in the installer.
>
> I was running already KDE 4.1.3.  The 0.9.4.1 KDE for Windows installer
> didn't offer me this newer version because I had it set to skip basic
> settings.  Maybe that needs to be mentioned for upgraders.
>
> If I didn't skip basic settings, I got a "Release Selection" panel to
> choose a KDE version from several available, including unstable 4.1.96.

update in the website
>   That dialog is not shown in the excellent screenshots at
> http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/installer/manual/

need to update - will happens when 0.9.5 is out
> For some of the packages the installer showed a checkbox.  For others
> where I already had earlier versions installed, the installer instead
> showed a fuzzy circle with green around it.  I can't find any
> documentation of what this means, the tooltip doesn't help.  I think it
> does an update.

yes

 - i will take a look if we can add a related tool tip
> During Installing packages I got an alert:
> 	Error
> 	Can't remove C:/KDE4/bin/dbus-daemon.exe
> 	[Cancel]
> and I'm positive dbus-daemon wasn't running before.  It seems to start
> up during operation in "Installing packages".  I clicked [Cancel] but installation continued.
>
> * KDE for Windows Installer should shut dbus-daemon and other KDE stuff down, not start it up!

There may some background processes still running.
The installer has already support for stopping kde applications - is
there a line in the log file like shown below ?
[2009-01-14 14:31:35] Debug: gui\installerenginegui.cpp 625 run
"C:\Programme\KDE/bin/kdeinit4.exe" ("--shutdown") without errors

On you pc it looks that some application resist to be killed or the
shutdown command does not work for unknown reasons. Can you try to start
some kde applications and then run

kdeinit4 --shutdown

from the command line ?

Then run

    kdeinit4 --list

to show if all processes stopped.

BTW: What os are you using ?

> * "Can't remove" errors should be a modal dialog where you get a chance
> to clean it up then continue.

thanks for this pointer
> * A dialog that says [Cancel] yet installation continues leaves the
> user, if not the system, in a confused state.
>
> In \KDE4\bin, all my dbus-* programs remained with modification dates of
>   2008-12-29, but seem to be the latest version.
>    C:\KDE4\bin>dbus-daemon --version
>    D-Bus Message Bus Daemon 1.2.4
> Is that OK?
dbus -1.2.4-1 is the latest.

> If not, how would I reinstall this?

be sure to not have any kde related process running and run installer
again.
> During post-processing, awful Norton 360 warned that kbuildsycoca4 tries
> to access the internet.  Does it really need to?

it needs to open tcp connections to dbus daemon and this triggers Norton
> I think that alert about kbuildsyscoca4 appeared *before* the installer
> displayed "Post Processing", which is a little odd.

hmmh, the command ist started when the page is displayed. May be that
the page display is delayed internal
> Then another warning, kwinstartmenu tries to access the internet.
> Again, does it really need to?  I think both of these were trying to
> talk UDP on port 53 to my ISP's DNS server.

Hmmh, at least they opens tcp connections to the dbus-daemon.

> Techbase says the KDEglobals location changed.
Do you have a link ?
> When updating to 4.2 RC,
> should people move some, none, or just kdeglobals from their old .kde
> directory to the new location?  I didn't copy it over as I don't think I
> have any significant KDE settings (yet it still contains 2MB of stuff
> not including cache and tmp).
>
> I notice that every time I update with the installer KDE, it leaves
> obsolete downloaded files in my downloads directory.  They take up a
> huge amount of space.  When there's a pair of files where one is
> obviously out-of-date I periodically delete the older one, maybe this
> tip should be mentioned somewhere.

I will see if there could be an additional notice about this
> But is there any reason to keep *any* of the .bz2 and .md5 files around
> if installation is successful?

for reinstalling, downgrading or perfoming an installation on a
different pc without the nedd to redownload the files again - since
0.9.5-rc1 there is a "install from local directory" options which makes
this possible in the gui.
> I also notice that after several rounds of updating KDE, I have several
> outdated DLLs in C:\KDE4\lib as well as C:\KDE4\bin.  I think they're
> all from KOffice: chartshapelib, flake, karboncommon, etc.  Is it OK to
> delete the older ones?

Hmmh, i guess that these files were in use when updating and could not
be removed (You mentioned above, that the killing of KDE applications by
the installer fails on your pc)
> The install removed all the Start menu items in "KDE 4.1.3 Release"
> except for one: Internet > KRDC (Remote Desktop Client).
>
> Starting kwrite.exe, I got an alert "attempting to access the Internet"
> from kwrite.exe (again, UDP on port 53 to my DNS server).

as already stated kde uses several tcp/udp connections.
> KWrite thought it was version 4.1.96 running on 4.1.96.
>
> BUT, if I rerun the KDE for Windows installer , it shows I have version
> 4.00.80.20080120 of several packages installed:
>     kdelibs-msvc
>     kdepimlibs.msvc
>     kdeedu-msvc
>     kdegames-msvc
>     kdegraphics-msvc (actually, 3.95-1)
>     kdesdk-msvc
> for each there's a blank space where the checkbox would be, until I
> click in it and it gives me a checkbox  to install the 4.1.96 versions!
>   Why does the installer think I don't have the latest versions of these?

This can happen when you install lib or source packages in the package
manager mode and then switch back to the end user mode - there is a bug
in the installer. [1]
> Here's part of kdewin-installer.log for kdegames-msv, it seems to think
> many different versions of kdegames-msvc are installed, including 4.1.96,:

<snip>
the log describes exactly what is mentioned above - you may switch back
to package manager mode, deinstall all lib and src packages and switch
back to end user - the error should be done.

> I killed kdeinit, kdelaunch, dbus-daemon, and selected all of these for
> install.  The installer seemed to skip download and go straight into a
> long "Installing packages", but again it started dbus-daemon.exe.
>
> I finally monitored my process list throughout installation, killed
> dbus-daemon when it started up yet again, reinstalled the same set of
> packages, got no errors, and got a newer modification time on
> dbus-daemon.  But the installer still thinks I don't have the latest
> versions of those big modules.
>
> Whew.  Any comments?
The above

> I could file bugs...

this would be nice for [1]

BTW: Thanks for your detailed error reports - this helps much to improve
the installer.

Regards