some glitches and issues updating to 4.2 RC

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 10:31:39 CET 2009

4.2 RC!  Wahoo!

http://windows.kde.org/news.php#itemKDE42RCforWindowsavailable doesn't
say anywhere that to install 4.2 RC you need to choose to install
version "unstable 4.1.96" in the installer.

I was running already KDE 4.1.3.  The 0.9.4.1 KDE for Windows installer
didn't offer me this newer version because I had it set to skip basic
settings.  Maybe that needs to be mentioned for upgraders.

If I didn't skip basic settings, I got a "Release Selection" panel to
choose a KDE version from several available, including unstable 4.1.96.
  That dialog is not shown in the excellent screenshots at
http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/installer/manual/

For some of the packages the installer showed a checkbox.  For others
where I already had earlier versions installed, the installer instead
showed a fuzzy circle with green around it.  I can't find any
documentation of what this means, the tooltip doesn't help.  I think it
does an update.

During Installing packages I got an alert:
	Error
	Can't remove C:/KDE4/bin/dbus-daemon.exe
	[Cancel]
and I'm positive dbus-daemon wasn't running before.  It seems to start
up during operation in "Installing packages".  I clicked [Cancel] but
installation continued.
* KDE for Windows Installer should shut dbus-daemon and other KDE stuff
down, not start it up!
* "Can't remove" errors should be a modal dialog where you get a chance
to clean it up then continue.
* A dialog that says [Cancel] yet installation continues leaves the
user, if not the system, in a confused state.
In \KDE4\bin, all my dbus-* programs remained with modification dates of
  2008-12-29, but seem to be the latest version.
   C:\KDE4\bin>dbus-daemon --version
   D-Bus Message Bus Daemon 1.2.4
Is that OK?  If not, how would I reinstall this?

During post-processing, awful Norton 360 warned that kbuildsycoca4 tries
to access the internet.  Does it really need to?

I think that alert about kbuildsyscoca4 appeared *before* the installer
displayed "Post Processing", which is a little odd.

Then another warning, kwinstartmenu tries to access the internet.
Again, does it really need to?  I think both of these were trying to
talk UDP on port 53 to my ISP's DNS server.

Techbase says the KDEglobals location changed.  When updating to 4.2 RC,
should people move some, none, or just kdeglobals from their old .kde
directory to the new location?  I didn't copy it over as I don't think I
have any significant KDE settings (yet it still contains 2MB of stuff
not including cache and tmp).

I notice that every time I update with the installer KDE, it leaves
obsolete downloaded files in my downloads directory.  They take up a
huge amount of space.  When there's a pair of files where one is
obviously out-of-date I periodically delete the older one, maybe this
tip should be mentioned somewhere.
But is there any reason to keep *any* of the .bz2 and .md5 files around
if installation is successful?

I also notice that after several rounds of updating KDE, I have several
outdated DLLs in C:\KDE4\lib as well as C:\KDE4\bin.  I think they're
all from KOffice: chartshapelib, flake, karboncommon, etc.  Is it OK to
delete the older ones?

The install removed all the Start menu items in "KDE 4.1.3 Release"
except for one: Internet > KRDC (Remote Desktop Client).

Starting kwrite.exe, I got an alert "attempting to access the Internet"
from kwrite.exe (again, UDP on port 53 to my DNS server).

KWrite thought it was version 4.1.96 running on 4.1.96.

BUT, if I rerun the KDE for Windows installer , it shows I have version
4.00.80.20080120 of several packages installed:
    kdelibs-msvc
    kdepimlibs.msvc
    kdeedu-msvc
    kdegames-msvc
    kdegraphics-msvc (actually, 3.95-1)
    kdesdk-msvc
for each there's a blank space where the checkbox would be, until I
click in it and it gives me a checkbox  to install the 4.1.96 versions!
  Why does the installer think I don't have the latest versions of these?

Here's part of kdewin-installer.log for kdegames-msv, it seems to think
many different versions of kdegames-msvc are installed, including 4.1.96,:

[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\package.cpp 343 Package::add
"kdegames-msvc"  type  LIB already added
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\database.cpp 254 set package
installed state PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "LIB" m_installed: true ) for package Package ( name:
"kdegames-msvc" version: "" installedversion: PackageVersion ( m_version
"4.00.80.20080120" ) categories: () notes: "" longNotes: "" deps: ()
m_pathRelocs:  PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "LIB" m_installed: true ) )
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\package.cpp 343 Package::add
"kdegames-msvc"  type  BIN already added
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\database.cpp 254 set package
installed state PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "BIN" m_installed: true ) for package Package ( name:
"kdegames-msvc" version: "" installedversion: PackageVersion ( m_version
"4.1.1" ) categories: () notes: "" longNotes: "" deps: ()  m_pathRelocs:
  PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: "" m_contentType: "BIN"
m_installed: true ) )
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\package.cpp 343 Package::add
"kdegames-msvc"  type  BIN already added
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\database.cpp 254 set package
installed state PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "BIN" m_installed: true ) for package Package ( name:
"kdegames-msvc" version: "" installedversion: PackageVersion ( m_version
"4.1.3" ) categories: () notes: "" longNotes: "" deps: ()  m_pathRelocs:
  PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: "" m_contentType: "BIN"
m_installed: true ) )
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\package.cpp 343 Package::add
"kdegames-msvc"  type  BIN already added
[2009-01-13 21:18:31] Debug: shared\database.cpp 254 set package
installed state PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "BIN" m_installed: true ) for package Package ( name:
"kdegames-msvc" version: "" installedversion: PackageVersion ( m_version
"4.1.96" ) categories: () notes: "" longNotes: "" deps: ()
m_pathRelocs:  PackageItem ( m_url:  QUrl( "" )  m_fileName: ""
m_contentType: "BIN" m_installed: true ) )

I killed kdeinit, kdelaunch, dbus-daemon, and selected all of these for
install.  The installer seemed to skip download and go straight into a
long "Installing packages", but again it started dbus-daemon.exe.

I finally monitored my process list throughout installation, killed
dbus-daemon when it started up yet again, reinstalled the same set of
packages, got no errors, and got a newer modification time on
dbus-daemon.  But the installer still thinks I don't have the latest
versions of those big modules.

Whew.  Any comments?  I could file bugs...

--
=S Page