installer testing feedback

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Jan 7 16:13:08 CET 2009

See http://windows.kde.org - the website got some update
> * A standalone installer is needed. The whole concept of downloading
> the installer and then selecting which programs to install was not
> obvious at all especially when the goal is to "install Amarok". I fear
> anything else will make a lot of users not install certain KDE
> applications. Most of the users you will get in the future will want
> to install _one_ application which will hopefully make them also
> install others.

There is an initial implementation of specialized installers targeted to
one application/package available with a reduced ui - probably need some
polishing
> * During installation one was asked which KDE version to download. It
> was absolutely not obvious which one is the best or recommended one.
> Maybe get rid of it completely or at least make a recommendation and
> make it obvious? Also are the old KDE versions really needed? Who is
> installing them?

I think we must differentiate between an end user and a power user. For
end users  it is  only importent so select between the latest stable or
unstable release.
> * All in all there are too many options to choose from but some of
> them could be removed with a standalone installer I suppose. Some
> people will just give up otherwise.
> * I need to improve the download page on the Amarok website. Fail :(
> Help appreciated.
>
> There seemed to have been a problem with localisation of XDG-user-dirs
> but my brother's computer is pretty messy so I can't say for sure
> where the problem was. And GetHotNewStuff wanted GPG which wasn't
> installed. I think it worked without it in the end. Damn I should take
> better notes...

I don't know any application named  GetHotNewStuff - are your refering
to khotnewstuff4 ?
> Besides those problems Amarok worked pretty nicely on Windows.

nice to hear.
> Unfortunately we didn't get to actually use Parley because we ran out
> of time.
Two of my childrens are using parley for their daily vocable learning -
there are some minor issues and sometime it crashes
> Great work everyone! You surely are helping make KDE's world
> domination plans (TM) reality :P  Maybe one day I can even make my
> brother a true Amarok fan and get him away from ITunes  ;-)

Regards