installer testing feedback

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 23:01:37 CET 2009

Heya folks :)

While visiting family over Christmas I did some testing of the
KDE-on-Windows installer. I asked my brother (pretty average geeky
Windows user) to install Amarok and Parley. Here are some of the
things I noticed. (Some of them might be completely obvious to you -
sorry.) Hope it helps.

* The download link on the website was hidden in the intro text. A
link in the sidebar is needed. People don't read.
* A standalone installer is needed. The whole concept of downloading
the installer and then selecting which programs to install was not
obvious at all especially when the goal is to "install Amarok". I fear
anything else will make a lot of users not install certain KDE
applications. Most of the users you will get in the future will want
to install _one_ application which will hopefully make them also
install others.
* During installation one was asked which KDE version to download. It
was absolutely not obvious which one is the best or recommended one.
Maybe get rid of it completely or at least make a recommendation and
make it obvious? Also are the old KDE versions really needed? Who is
installing them?
* All in all there are too many options to choose from but some of
them could be removed with a standalone installer I suppose. Some
people will just give up otherwise.
* I need to improve the download page on the Amarok website. Fail :(
Help appreciated.

There seemed to have been a problem with localisation of XDG-user-dirs
but my brother's computer is pretty messy so I can't say for sure
where the problem was. And GetHotNewStuff wanted GPG which wasn't
installed. I think it worked without it in the end. Damn I should take
better notes...

Besides those problems Amarok worked pretty nicely on Windows.
Unfortunately we didn't get to actually use Parley because we ran out
of time. Great work everyone! You surely are helping make KDE's world
domination plans (TM) reality :P  Maybe one day I can even make my
brother a true Amarok fan and get him away from ITunes  ;-)

Cheers
Lydia

PS: Please CC me in replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager