Feedback from an application developer

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Aug 21 14:20:12 CEST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009, Jaroslaw S wrote:
> Perhaps moving to KDE SVN would be a first step into having the app
> packaged?

I know KDE is very inclusive about that. But not every project *wants* to be
included in KDE svn, nor would this make much sense in some cases. To mention
just *some* reasons, I like the flexibility of truely being the admin of my
project, including the ability to hand out SVN write privileges myself, the
(relative, but real) comfort of managing all project ressources through a
single platform, the freedom to set release cycles that are often much
shorter, and sometimes much longer than KDE's...

Also, while you're at it, packaging rkward is not as trivial as you may think
(in whichever framework), and includes a fairly heavy-weight dependency on R,
as well as (in the current version) PHP. It simply makes no sense at all to
pull all that into KDE SVN / the regular installer.

Make it easy for anyone to re-use the kde-win installer for those parts where
it makes sense. That's what I'm asking for. And I'll be happy to deal with all
the extra stuff that I depend on, myself.

> NSIS is not an option for installing applications that share
> libraries, os I guess if you had to use it,
> in long term you would have to offer copy of kde libs. While that's
> acceptable, it does not set the project in very good light because of
> required space...

No need to tell me about the pain involved in this approach. In fact NSIS
*can* be coerced to work with the installed kde libraries, and even to work
with yet another third party library installed in yet another location. I've
been there, done that. But installation requires the user to follow a rather
long series of steps, carefully (http://p.sf.net/rkward/windows if you're
interested in details).

Regards
Thomas