Feedback from an application developer

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Aug 22 13:22:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Friday 21 August 2009, Ralf Habacker wrote:
[...]
> If you have more questions in this area let me know.

Just the sort of information I was looking for. Thanks! (Probably I will come
back with questions, some time later).

> The most annoying stuff are dependencies and binary incompatible
> changes.

Do binary incompatible changes still happen on windows? Are such changes
expected for every minor release, for even for every patch-release? Are BIC
changes announced on this list or elsewhere?

> > Is there any documentation on this?
>
> over the last year several thread about the structure is documented at
> the kde windows mailing list and there are the sources

Ok, whenever I do get something to work (which will definitely take time), I'll
try to document the basic steps on techbase. Or are these things still
expected to change at a fast pace?

[MinGW / MSVC]

I'm not quite willing to give in on this, yet.

> > - both versions are not co-installable
>
> not true
>
> > (or at least not in the same directory).
>
> yes

Well, yes, but having two (or even more) separate KDE installations on one
machine doesn't sound like a desirable thing to me. It may be ok to ask this
from a developer (though it causes real space problems on the windows
partition of my dual-boot laptop). But I just don't think this sort of issue
helps create the "ready for the desktop"-impression.

> the most important issue is
> http://qt.nokia.com/developer/task-tracker/index_html?id=157932&method=entr
>y ->  Rejected: We don't find sufficient reason to implement this naming
> scheme.

I see. But would it be possible in theory to simply split the different
versions into different sub-directories? Like C:\KDE\lib_mingw and C:
\KDE\lib_msvc? (Similar to separate lib-directories on mixed 32bit/64bit
systems)? That way
1) At least the data could be shared.
2) It would be possible to provide a stable least common denominator (such as
MinGW4 / 32bit libraries are always installed) that third parties can rely on.
MSVC and MinGW3 and/or 64bit libs/binaries would be an optional add-on.

Failing that, the problem could be alleviated quite a bit, if it was at least
possible to control all different flavors of KDE on one machine with a *single*
instance of the installer. E.g. allow installation into a single root
directory, but with subdirectories KDE_MinGW, KDE_MSVC, etc. for each
installed flavor. In this approach, at least:
1) The installations would easily be kept in sync, and the only problem pushed
to the end-user is the additional space-requirement, not the additional
administration.
2) Again it would be possible to provide for a least common denominator for
third parties to rely on, by always installing the KDE_MinGW4_32bit version,
with any other versions as optional add-ons.

Finally, failing that as well, I'll still insist and pose a more radical
question: What really is the point of providing several binary flavors? I can
basically see three answers to this:
1) To experiment with the different compilers, to profit from the different
warnings they give, and further increase portability. A valid reason, but for
this purpose it would not really be neccessary to off all compiler flavors in
the binary installer.
2) To all developers to use both toolchains. Another valid reason, but once
again this is useful for development machines, only.
3) To give third party appliation developers the freedom of choice to use
either compiler flavor for distributing their software. That would be a nice
idea, but the current approach does not really offer that choice at all, but
rather makes providing *all* flavors as well the only clean option.

So, I would argue: If "true" co-installability, i.e. especially management of
different flavors in a single instance of the installer cannot be realized, then
providing several flavors quite simply causes more harm than good. In this last
case, a decision should be made to support *one* flavor in the installer.
Developers in need of more would be expected to compile from sources.

Well, that's my personal 2 cents. I'm sure most of my points have already been
discussed at length, and it's not my intention to waste your time with
perpetual repetition of the same discussion. But I do think this is an
important issue, and perhaps I did bring up something that has not been
considered, yet.

Regards
Thomas