Proposal: reenable --style for all targets

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Nov 12 23:47:50 CET 2008

Aaron J. Seigo said the following, On 2008-11-12 23:44:
> On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Aaron's commit says
>> "only set the style when we're on x11; let Qt handle the style and palette
>> selection on the other systems.
>> if people wish to change the style of Qt apps on those platforms, they can
>> use qtconfig"
>>
>> -> http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=664813
>>
>> But from http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtconfig.html:
>>
>> "qtconfig is available on X11 platforms and should be installed alongside
>> the other tools supplied with Qt."
>>
>> Moreover I, and possibly others, rather need the quick --style option
>> during the development for various style/appearance-related tests on the
>> non-X11 targets.
>>
>> My proposal is to revert the r664813 for kapplication.cpp.
>
> there are two parts to this commit, actually:
>
> * ignore --style on non-x11
>
> * set the kde default style on x11 only
>
> don't revert the latter as it will mean by default apps won't get the native
> look and feel by default, but use the oxygen style instead. obviously not what
> we want.

Yes, as I mentioned above, I only think about kapplication.cpp.

> as for --style, do as you want.
>
> but note that the part that touches kapplication.cpp uses kde_overrideStyle.
> it should not be doing that on win or mac; it should instead default to
> QString() and if it is empty just not set it.

Perhaps I don't get the magic, but it does this for me: kde_overrideStyle is
nonempty only when (-)-style is present (and the arg is a name of existing
style).

So I am still proposing just removing the #ifdef Q_WS_X11...

> so .. an alternate way to accomplish this would be to change the use of
> kde_overrideStyle depending on the platform.
>
> but i'm a little suprised that the Qt4 -style option doesn't work on win/mac
> though. using that --style shouldn't be necessary at all.
>
> have you tried -style? (not --style) ... Qt4 only listens to -style, not
> --style.

Yes I've tried -style before patching, which did not work for me.
Only Qt-only apps accept this option.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
  Kexi & KOffice (http://www.kexi.pl/en, http://www.koffice.org/kexi)