Looking for hints on getting kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe to work

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Feb 27 17:56:09 CET 2008

Gudmund Areskoug schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Gudmund Areskoug schrieb:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Except this hole: for whatever reason (possibly me telling the mingw
>>> installer to put it there), mingwm10.dll was installed in C:\MinGW on my
>>> system,
>>>
>> probably because it was installed along with a mingw installation.
>>

> Yes, I figured it best to get the whole shebang, including developer
> stuff since a) it's beta, so you never know what you might want to do,
> and b) Kbabel/Lokalizer is normally in kdesdk anyway.
>
> Do you mean that this wouldn't have happened, had I chosen the
> non-developer flavour?

no.  The problem is that the kde installation does not install
mingwm10.dll by the installer.

>>> so running anything in C:\KDE\bin resulted in a complaint about
>>> wrong path to that file.
>>>

> A Windows registry thing? Wonder if it's possible to do away with
> registry and/or forced installations, making things more like portable apps.

no

>> kstars is located in the kdeedu package.
>>

> ...which isn't in this package.
I have installed the kdeedu package 4.0.63 for msvc compilers. It
contains kstars.exe

C:\Programme\a\bin>type c:\Programme\a\manifest\kdeedu-msvc-4.0.63-bin.mft
dba6c916f4e92e925df3b738e272fa4f bin/kstars.exe

If you have installed the kdeedu package the file
c:\KDE\manifest\kdeedu-mingw-4.0.63-bin.mft should be on your computer
and should contain a line with the term 'bin/kstars.exe'. If not, then
the mingw package has a problem.