Looking for hints on getting kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.0-1.exe to work

Gudmund Areskoug gudmundpublic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:42:12 CET 2008

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Gudmund Areskoug schrieb:
> <snip>
>> Except this hole: for whatever reason (possibly me telling the mingw
>> installer to put it there), mingwm10.dll was installed in C:\MinGW on my
>> system,
> probably because it was installed along with a mingw installation.

Yes, I figured it best to get the whole shebang, including developer
stuff since a) it's beta, so you never know what you might want to do,
and b) Kbabel/Lokalizer is normally in kdesdk anyway.

Do you mean that this wouldn't have happened, had I chosen the
non-developer flavour?

>> so running anything in C:\KDE\bin resulted in a complaint about
>> wrong path to that file.

A Windows registry thing? Wonder if it's possible to do away with
registry and/or forced installations, making things more like portable apps.

>> My ugly hack of simply copying mingwm10.dll into C:\KDE\bin *seems* to
>> have worked. Will look out for adverse effects (unless someone's kind
>> enough to tell me before silly things happen/I waste time searching in
>> Bugzilla, <http://bugs.kde.org/query.cgi>, which I'm not sure is for the
>> Windows version).

Thanks Ralf and Christian for confirming.

> kstars is located in the kdeedu package.

...which isn't in this package. Off to look for how to get that, then,
let's see if I'd need to get the sources and compile it.

BR,
Gudmund