emerge dirty patches for download problems

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 18 11:57:46 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 10:36, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter schrieb:

> > here are to dirty patches that might come in handy, if
> > a) the network connection to some server is down, but you have the file
>
> as you said below the problem is when incomplete files were downloaded
> in a previous session. Because wget checks the file size there is
> currently prevention in this case. Applying this patch would skip this
> wget check, so I would say that this patch should not be applied.

Yes, this is why we did not apply it.  ;)
Still good to have the patch for some situations.

> > b) round-robin dns from sourceforge gives you bad servers occasionally
>
> This patch I would say is required and it helps in some case from topic
> a) too.  Feel free to commit.

Done.

> > A real solution for b) would be to implement general fetchting retries.
>
> patches welcome
>
> > For a) we would need to implement a verficiation step
> > that would check a sha1sum or an OpenPGP signature on disk first before
> > trying to use the network.
>
> on the server containing kde windows distributions there are currently
> md5sums available - although currently for all files of a specific
> release in one file so this area probably need to be extended.  Any
> proposals ?

Best would be detached signatures of course (for the one that publishes).

It would help if just an md5sum is calculated and put in the emerge/portage
when the portage while is adapted. I take it that in most cases there is
a specific file referenced so that person updating a portage spec
should just insert their own checksum at least.

Bernhard