emerge dirty patches for download problems

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Apr 18 12:04:53 CEST 2008

> Von: Bernhard Reiter
> On Friday 18 April 2008 10:36, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
>
> > > here are to dirty patches that might come in handy, if
> > > a) the network connection to some server is down, but you have the
> file
> >
> > as you said below the problem is when incomplete files were downloaded
> > in a previous session. Because wget checks the file size there is
> > currently prevention in this case. Applying this patch would skip this
> > wget check, so I would say that this patch should not be applied.
>
> Yes, this is why we did not apply it.  ;)
> Still good to have the patch for some situations.
>
> > > b) round-robin dns from sourceforge gives you bad servers occasionally
> >
> > This patch I would say is required and it helps in some case from topic
> > a) too.  Feel free to commit.
>
> Done.
>
> > > A real solution for b) would be to implement general fetchting
> retries.
> >
> > patches welcome
> >
> > > For a) we would need to implement a verficiation step
> > > that would check a sha1sum or an OpenPGP signature on disk first
> before
> > > trying to use the network.
> >
> > on the server containing kde windows distributions there are currently
> > md5sums available - although currently for all files of a specific
> > release in one file so this area probably need to be extended.  Any
> > proposals ?
>
> Best would be detached signatures of course (for the one that publishes).
>
> It would help if just an md5sum is calculated and put in the
> emerge/portage
> when the portage while is adapted. I take it that in most cases there is
> a specific file referenced so that person updating a portage spec
> should just insert their own checksum at least.

The packager can be modified to create a md5sum for every package (dbus-mingw-1.1.2-1234567.md5sum) or every file. Just don't know if this helps us.
Putting something in the emerge tree isn't a good solution as we can't use it for our installer then.

Christian
--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free