emerge dirty patches for download problems

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Apr 18 10:36:35 CEST 2008

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> Hi Kde-Windows-Hackers,
>
> here are to dirty patches that might come in handy, if
> a) the network connection to some server is down, but you have the file

as you said below the problem is when incomplete files were downloaded
in a previous session. Because wget checks the file size there is
currently prevention in this case. Applying this patch would skip this
wget check, so I would say that this patch should not be applied.

> b) round-robin dns from sourceforge gives you bad servers occasionally

This patch I would say is required and it helps in some case from topic
a) too.  Feel free to commit.
> A real solution for b) would be to implement general fetchting retries.

patches welcome
> For a) we would need to implement a verficiation step
> that would check a sha1sum or an OpenPGP signature on disk first before
> trying to use the network.

on the server containing kde windows distributions there are currently
md5sums available - although currently for all files of a specific
release in one file so this area probably need to be extended.  Any
proposals ?