download area layout

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Sep 3 10:17:02 CEST 2007

Saro Engels schrieb:
>>> libs/
>>> tools/  (byacc, flex, tar, ...)
>>> msvc/
>>>     kde/ (kdelibs,kdebase,.....)
>>>     kdesupport/ (containing qt, strigi, kdewin32 and other)
>>> mingw/
>>>     kde/ (kdelibs,kdebase,.....)
>>>     kdesupport/ (containing qt, strigi, kdewin32 and other)
>>>
>>> The kdewin installer would use similar categories
>>>
>>> libs
>>> tools
>>> kdesupport-msvc
>>> kdesupport-mingw
>>> kde-msvc
>>> kde-mingw
>>>

>> BTW: On http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/new-layout/ you can see an
>> example of the new layout
>> Ralf
>>

> I am not sure whether we need the distinction between kdesupport/kde for
> the packages; both are mostly kde-products and not only hosted there.
kdesupport are packages required by other kde packages
> I would prefer to have it more similar to the repository structure of kde.

KDE on unix does not require basis libraries or basic tools because they
can expect them to be available by the base distribution.

On windows the situation is different. We have to provide many of the
the basic libraries and tools along with the KDE

Additional there are 2 compilers with different ABI.

On c level is is possible in many cases to build a "combined" packages
supporting both compilers, but on c++ level they are not compatible.

> What will happen to the debugging-tools section in the installer? They
> will hopefully go to the tools section, right?

These debugging tools are only links to other locations in the internet
and do not need to be into the download area.