Running KDE under Windows some problems

Nicolas Pavlidis nicolas.pavlidis at aon.at
Thu Nov 22 09:34:07 CET 2007

Hi!

I'll hope now the posting to this list works :-)

Yesterday I had some problems running KDE, than I found out that the
installers seams to miss the strigi dependency, ok
I installed the missing package and reallye the different applications
start up. If I srat up kdeinit / kde4.exe I'm left with a command window
that says, that some process is being created, well ok. But than nothing
happens.

Next, if I try to start up konqueror, at first I get the message, that
kabout_dialog.dll was not found, but Konqueror comes up,
If I try to enter an URL I get the message, that KHTML was not found,
which is clear the Konqueror needs it to display HTML :-)

So the next thing, if I try to configure Konqueror, Konqueror crashes
imediatly after pressing the corresponding Menuitem.

The next app I tried to start up was KWrite. Here the behaviour was,
that it crashes imideatly after starting the app, also saying that some
depedency was not met :-(

Right now I'm trying to install everything I that may be needed by the
different apps, maybe that will fix the problems (switched to the new
version of the KDE installer) There seam to be problems with downloading
some packaes, unfortunately the installer do not say with package it is
in the message directly to it is a bit hard to get the list of faild
packages to post it here.

BTW: I've installed msvc (version 8 and 9) and MinGW, it would be fine
if the installer would ask the people if they wanna use an existing
installtion of msvc (I don't know if the same problem exists with MinGW,
instead of blindly installing the same thing two times :-)

I hope I do not address known problems.

FYI:
Tried on Windows XP SP 2

BTW: Great thanks for the affort the developers do for porting KDE to
Windows, I'm glad to have these nice thing under Windos to and that I'm
gonna get rid of some anoying apps :-)

Best regards,
Nicolas