KDE Windows Updater Client

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Nov 20 14:16:11 CET 2007

Bernhard schrieb:
> so.. I've just checked out the svn directory of the kde-windows-installer.
> If I'm not completely mistaken I can use  the whole stuff from the shared
> folder in  the updater.

yes, but if you like to create a full updater you need more files at
least the settings class to get current mirror/proxy and other settings
> I've seen there are also plans to implement an update feature in the
> kde-windows-installer. Is there something going on atm?

Yes it was in the pipeline already for some time and is mostly
implemented in the installer. See the last release.
> Would it be better if I could somehow try to hack the update function into
> the kde-windows installer or would you like it more to have two seperate
> programs?

What do you think about to split the task: the installer handles all
update related stuff and a little tray icon program which is loaded up
on login and checks in regulary intervals for updates (the way how to
detect has to be designed, the related code should be in the shared
folder - any suggestions) and if updates are available
it runs the installer with a specific command line to perform the
required steps.

Ralf

> 2007/11/13, Bernhard <mustermaxi at gmail.com>:
>
>> thx for the feedback!
>>
>> To be honest I've hoped that someone could make a nice suggestion because
>> I don't know how the KDE team will manage the whole packaging. (compiled
>> packages, just source, executables) Afaik you won't release a KDE Windowsversion with KDE
>> 4.0. Is this still true?
>>
>> The whole project has basically begun because I think it would be a nice
>> addition for users who are currently using a program, are encountering a
>> bug, file a bug report, and if you've got luck with the next update (you get
>> from this little prog) you get the fixed version automatically. (don't know
>> if you should just update for example from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 or if you should
>> use snapshots of svn.)
>> I'm open for every suggestion regarding both technical and user views.
>>
>> If there's no other way round I thought about just downloading the new zip
>> archives and replace the files of your current install.
>>
>> Sadly I haven't had any time yet to look into the code of the KDE-Windowsinstaller and how it works. Does it compile something? Or does it just copy
>> the files from the archive into your install directory?
>>
>> Also I don't know yet how to implement the dependency handling and if this
>> is something my program should concern about (imo the dependencies should
>> have already been checked by kde-windows-installer).
>>
>> I hope you've got some suggestions and feedback for me.
>>
>> Bernhard

>>> what's in

>>> This looks good. What are your plans about the package format used for
>>> updates ? Currently there are only full packages available
>>> http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/
>>>
>>> BTW: You may take a look on the recent kde on windows installer located
>>> on http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/kdewin-installer/. May be some
>>> stuff can be merged.
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Ralf