buildsystem for kde on windows

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 30 19:05:34 CEST 2007

On 30.05.07 16:33:37, Holger Schröder wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 00:24:25 Dapuzz wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:30:32 +0200, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > There's already a proper automatic build system implemented in a
> > > scripting language: kdesvn-build. All it really needs is some porting to
> > > windows. So far the winemerge stuff needs some work to be done on it to
> > > be useful again so  instead IMHO this time should be spent on
> > > kdesvn-build. Of course this means finding a perl hacker to actually do
> > > this, I myself am certainly not capable of doing that.
> > >
> > > Andreas
> >
> > I agree with you. kdesvn-build works a charm on linux, why not make
> > something similar on win32 based upon it?
> >
> > This evening I've whatched a bit of that 5000 line of perl code (so far
> >
> > :D) . I'm not a guru, but i think that a windows port is not so hard with
> >
> > some hack.
> > We are loosing some featyres, first of all symlink (used f.e. in logging)
> > My work stopped at porting "pipe'nd fork", but i'm sure someone knows how
> > to make the equivalent code.
> > So, if there is anyone working in perl, with a lot of freetime, we can do
> > something together.
>
> i think kdesvn-build falls short of what we need for kde on windows. the tool
> should also include the tasks of installing cmake, mingw, subversion,
> gnuwin32, etc. and both the kdewin installer and the emerge scripts from
> kdesupport/kdewin32/emerge handle these tasks quite ok. this is the hard part
> to get right on windows, because the people that come from unixes are quite
> familiar with svn up, cmake, make, make install, but the tricky part for them
> is getting the compiler and stuff like that.

If you take a clean *nix system without any development stuff on it, you
have to jump through the same hoops as on windows, except you normally
have a proper package management to help you.

> i am not against porting kdesvnbuild to windows, but i don´t see how it solves
> the big problems that people have before coming up to speed on windows. so i
> think the time is better spent on finishing the kdewin installer

I have to admit I didn't try the emerge script yet as recently somebody
posted here who had problems. I don't really care which script gets
improved/fixed, I just like to have a fire-and-forget method to build
qt-copy, kdesupport, kdelibs and kdevelop on windows. Of course thats
just me personally :)

If emerge also takes care about updating the dependecies thats a plus.

As far as possible "end users" are concerned: Those won't use the emerge
script but the installer I think.

Andreas

--
You have an ability to sense and know higher truth.