buildsystem for kde on windows

Holger Schröder schroder at kde.org
Wed May 30 16:33:37 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 00:24:25 Dapuzz wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:30:32 +0200, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > There's already a proper automatic build system implemented in a
> > scripting language: kdesvn-build. All it really needs is some porting to
> > windows. So far the winemerge stuff needs some work to be done on it to
> > be useful again so  instead IMHO this time should be spent on
> > kdesvn-build. Of course this means finding a perl hacker to actually do
> > this, I myself am certainly not capable of doing that.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> I agree with you. kdesvn-build works a charm on linux, why not make
> something similar on win32 based upon it?
>
> This evening I've whatched a bit of that 5000 line of perl code (so far
>
> :D) . I'm not a guru, but i think that a windows port is not so hard with
>
> some hack.
> We are loosing some featyres, first of all symlink (used f.e. in logging)
> My work stopped at porting "pipe'nd fork", but i'm sure someone knows how
> to make the equivalent code.
> So, if there is anyone working in perl, with a lot of freetime, we can do
> something together.

i think kdesvn-build falls short of what we need for kde on windows. the tool
should also include the tasks of installing cmake, mingw, subversion,
gnuwin32, etc. and both the kdewin installer and the emerge scripts from
kdesupport/kdewin32/emerge handle these tasks quite ok. this is the hard part
to get right on windows, because the people that come from unixes are quite
familiar with svn up, cmake, make, make install, but the tricky part for them
is getting the compiler and stuff like that.

i am not against porting kdesvnbuild to windows, but i don´t see how it solves
the big problems that people have before coming up to speed on windows. so i
think the time is better spent on finishing the kdewin installer and the
emerge scripts. perhaps we could even port the gentoo portage system to
windows, because that system does already have all the features we need to
have a "whole package management system" under windows, instead of a
simplification for svn up && cmake && make && make install.

just my 2c, Holger