kde installer in kdewin32 svn

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Jan 8 11:27:32 CET 2007

Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2007-01-08 10:52:
> Jarosław Staniek schrieb:
>> mark cox said the following, On 2007-01-08 06:52:
>>
>>> I'm not sure why you are re-inventing the wheel. inno setup is mature
>>> installation software with many features and you can extend it to add those
>>> missing features. In my experience, installers on windows always turn
>>> out to
>>> be much more complicated than anticipated and because inno setup is mature
>>> it has already encountered and solved those problems.
>>> website: www.innosetup.com
>>>

>> Note: Inno Setup is ini-based and produces an exe file. Is exe file needed
>> when we just need a custom extension that our "kde-setup" app will recognize?
>>
>> IMHO, I guess that installing KDE apps will not be similar to installing
>> statically linked (or "all files in one dir") bundle as in windows. You have
>> rather something similar to Fink, with taking dependencies into account. And
>> kdewin32 installer gives us power here.
>> There probably should not be "Select dest dir" question in the installer and
>> similar questions.
>>
> Isn't this required at least at the first start of installer ?
> What about when users are working behind a firewall and need proxy ?
> Where should the downloaded package will saved ?
>
> The cygwin installer provides this too and this settings are important
> to be entered at the first run.

Agree, this is the bootstrap installer I mentioned in my prev post.
"Installing KDE apps" does not requere this at all. You do not need to ship Qt
   with every app jsut to be able to extract contents to (already installed)
KDE dirs.

> On further run, this settings should be
> changeable by a specific button on the first page or a settings button
> on every page if possible, but not be asked on every run. The cygwin
> installer is in this area a bad example.
>
>> The remaining thing is: we need something like Inno (no NSIS) for the KDE
>> runtimes installation (i.e. for bootstrapping). And here it of course can fit
>> well.
>>

> Why ? The installer could be linked to static qt versions to have only
> one executable and reduzed in size to about 50-70% of the original size
> with upx http://upx.sf.net. I have used this in the past already.

I use UPX too. Note what I am talking about above :) --there are 2 types of
installers.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek