kde installer in kdewin32 svn

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Jan 8 10:18:04 CET 2007

mark cox said the following, On 2007-01-08 06:52:
> I'm not sure why you are re-inventing the wheel. inno setup is mature
> installation software with many features and you can extend it to add those
> missing features. In my experience, installers on windows always turn
> out to
> be much more complicated than anticipated and because inno setup is mature
> it has already encountered and solved those problems.
> website: www.innosetup.com

Note: Inno Setup is ini-based and produces an exe file. Is exe file needed
when we just need a custom extension that our "kde-setup" app will recognize?

IMHO, I guess that installing KDE apps will not be similar to installing
statically linked (or "all files in one dir") bundle as in windows. You have
rather something similar to Fink, with taking dependencies into account. And
kdewin32 installer gives us power here.
There probably should not be "Select dest dir" question in the installer and
similar questions.

The remaining thing is: we need something like Inno (no NSIS) for the KDE
runtimes installation (i.e. for bootstrapping). And here it of course can fit
well.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek