Getting started

Bo Thorsen bo at thorsen-consulting.dk
Wed Feb 28 12:51:48 CET 2007

Wednesday 28 February 2007 10:44 Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de wrote:
> Von: Bo Thorsen <bo at thorsen-consulting.dk>
>
> > Hi People,
> >
> > I'm trying to get started building KDE on Windows, but it's not really
> > working.
> >
> > I'm using Visual Studio Express 2005 on Vista with Qt 4.2.2. I have
> > already on
> > previous Qt projects set up VS with the SDK and the correct paths.
> >
> > I have installed CMake and Perl, but have problems with win32libs. I
> > downloaded the GUI installer for it and ran it, but I'm not completely
> > sure
> > what to get. The website says I should get all bin and lib packages, but
> > is
> > that really true? My guess is that I should only get the bin and lib
> > packages
> >
> > >from the win32libs group. But there are a number of the packages in this
> >
> > group that are not really available - aspell, giflib, iconv, and others
> > doesn't have any bin, lib, doc, or src to check.
>
> Use the complete package here - I'm splitting them only when I build a new
> package.

I tried that already (and just again to be certain). It doesn't work. I
checked the 'all' on all the win32libs packages that are not split, and it
didn't actually download anything.

> > When I run the cmake...VS8...kdewin32, it complains about a missing iconv
> > include file. This might have suggested that my assumption about only
> > getting
> > stuff from the win32libs is wrong, but iconv is only "available" in this
> > group. And as explained above, it isn't really available.
> >
> > Where am I going wrong here?
>
> You only need win32libs libs - if one is missing let us know (I've several
> other packages installed here this could lead to the problem that I
> sometimes forget the dependencies)
>
> I'll add iconv this evening. It's missing because it was not needed until I
> recompiled some packages with iconv support. For now you can download it
> from gnuwin32 and copy the files to win32libs subdir.

The iconv package isn't there in the other groups. It's only present in
win32libs where the installer can't actually find it.

> Some other notes for msvc:
> - you need to build kdeinw32 debug and release - just let cmake create a
> vcproj and install both -> maybe we should provide a binary package here -
> don't build kdelibs with vcproj - use nmake instead
> - don't use VS2005 SP1
>
> Thx for trying out our installer :)

You're welcome. If you stay with me until I succeed, I'll do the same :-)

My goal is to eventually have konsole up and running. And then kontact :-P

Bo.

--

Thorsen Consulting ApS - Qt consulting services
http://www.thorsen-consulting.dk