Getting started

Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Wed Feb 28 10:44:28 CET 2007

Von: Bo Thorsen <bo at thorsen-consulting.dk>
> Hi People,
>
> I'm trying to get started building KDE on Windows, but it's not really
> working.
>
> I'm using Visual Studio Express 2005 on Vista with Qt 4.2.2. I have
> already on
> previous Qt projects set up VS with the SDK and the correct paths.
>
> I have installed CMake and Perl, but have problems with win32libs. I
> downloaded the GUI installer for it and ran it, but I'm not completely
> sure
> what to get. The website says I should get all bin and lib packages, but
> is
> that really true? My guess is that I should only get the bin and lib
> packages
> >from the win32libs group. But there are a number of the packages in this
> group that are not really available - aspell, giflib, iconv, and others
> doesn't have any bin, lib, doc, or src to check.

Use the complete package here - I'm splitting them only when I build a new package.

> When I run the cmake...VS8...kdewin32, it complains about a missing iconv
> include file. This might have suggested that my assumption about only
> getting
> stuff from the win32libs is wrong, but iconv is only "available" in this
> group. And as explained above, it isn't really available.
>
> Where am I going wrong here?

You only need win32libs libs - if one is missing let us know (I've several other packages installed here this could lead to the problem that I sometimes forget the dependencies)

I'll add iconv this evening. It's missing because it was not needed until I recompiled some packages with iconv support. For now you can download it from gnuwin32 and copy the files to win32libs subdir.

Some other notes for msvc:
- you need to build kdeinw32 debug and release - just let cmake create a vcproj and install both -> maybe we should provide a binary package here
- don't build kdelibs with vcproj - use nmake instead
- don't use VS2005 SP1

Thx for trying out our installer :)
Christian

Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out