[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner problem in Windows

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Sat Dec 22 22:58:55 CET 2007

Ian Wadham schrieb:
>> Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
>>> Oh, last but not least: If you find problems that are specific to win32,
>>> please send a mail to the kde-windows mailinglist as AFAIK noone (except
>>> myself) of the kdewin-people read this list.
> OK, I am switching this discussion to kde-windows.  I am the author of
> KGoldrunner and would like to find out more about this problem and help
> address it and any other problems that come up, although I do not have
> a KDE Windows setup.  BTW KGr for KDE 4.0 is on bugzilla and my email
> address is also in the code.
>
> The problem with KGoldrunner was experienced by someone called Patrick
> on the KDE 4 Windows team and was reported only indirectly to
> kde-games-devel by Mauricio Piacentini.  Quoting Mauricio: "What happens is
> that the game runs, but runners are not visible.  The background renders."
Hm, yes this was what has been happening and is fixed now on win32.

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:28 pm, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>> And regarding your kgoldrunner problem - looks like someone forgot to
>> read the QPainter docu. I really wonder why it worked on linux ... :)
>>
> So what does this mean, Christian?  And what are you implying? ... :-)
>
> Here is a replay of some specific questions I posed on kde-games-devel, but
> received no answer.  Maybe somebody in kde-windows can answer them.
>
>   "I am sorry to hear (about the problem with KGr in Windows), but it is
>   not unexpected.  How much of the background shows?  For example,
>   in the Egypt theme, just the temple?  Or also the stones, ladders, bars
>   and jewels?"
No stones, ladders, jewels and just very very rarely a glimpse of the
player.

>   "Not unexpected, why?  Because QTimer limitations in Windows have always
>   worried me.  KGr sets all sorts of fancy and precise QTimers and intervals,
>   one per runner at least, and the granularity (or lack of) in Windows clocks
>   would probably not support them.  See the disclaimer in the QTimer class
>   doco entry."
>
>   "Nevertheless, I would expect *some* runners to appear, even if they failed
>   to move correctly.  Odd ... maybe there is something in KGameCanvas
>   sprites that Windows does not support ..."
As I said above - if you're eyes are fast enough yes - the player gets
painted but instantly hidden again.

>   "If this becomes a showstopper, maybe you should withdraw KGoldrunner
>   from Windows distributions of KDE 4.0."

hm, it works now as it should - definitely not the biggest problem yet.
> Re the last remark, I understand now that KDE for Windows will not be
> released before KDE 4.1, but some betas of KDE Games for Windows
> are out there.  I cannot speak for all KDE Games authors, but I for one
> am definitely not ready to support KGoldrunner in Windows yet.
The rest works as far as I have seen.

> All the best, Ian W.
regards,
SE (the one who spoke with Mauricio about that in Paris.)