[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner problem in Windows

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 23 23:58:30 CET 2007

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:58 am, Saro Engels wrote:
> Ian Wadham schrieb:
> >   "Not unexpected, why?  Because QTimer limitations in Windows have
> > always worried me.  KGr sets all sorts of fancy and precise QTimers and
> > intervals, one per runner at least, and the granularity (or lack of) in
> > Windows clocks would probably not support them.  See the disclaimer in
> > the QTimer class doco entry."
> >
> hm, it works now as it should - definitely not the biggest problem yet.

Thanks, Saro, for letting me know what happened with KGoldrunner
graphics, but I am still concerned about QTimer issues in Windows.

KGr is a highly timing-dependent game with about 200 levels and
what may appear to work as it should, for a few levels, might fail on
some of the more time-critical levels [1] ... and obviously I cannot expect
you to test *all* of them ... ;-)

OTOH I do not have a Windows-KDE setup, yet.  So can you tell me if
QTimer granularity is still a problem in Windows XP, 2000 and 2003
(the versions supported by KDE)?

The QTimer doco says that Windows 98 supports accuracy of only
55 msec.  KGoldrunner would require 5 msec or better, I think.

> regards,
> SE (the one who spoke with Mauricio about that in Paris.)

Ahah!  Well, the weather is warm here in Australia, so I don't get
over to Paris much this time of year ... :-)

All the best and have a Merry Christmas, Ian W.

[1] By "fail" I mean that something fails to happen with the exact
timing it should ... and so the level becomes impossible, too difficult
or too easy.