[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner problem in Windows

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sat Dec 22 11:28:50 CET 2007

Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
> On 21.12.07 18:49:46, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> What windows packages? There's no planned windows release for 4.0, there
>>> might be one for KDE 4.1, but not earlier.
>> There are beta releases already out
>
> I guess Christian should've done a bit more work and name them
> differently. As far as I know this were simply "windows packages" of the
> KDE Beta releases, so people know which feature/bug-set they get. At
> least his last mail on the kde-windows list says that KDE/win32 won't be
> ready anytime before 4.1 and I agree with that.

You're right - the naming scheme is wrong. Will think about it :)

>> Having this fixed is not a priority by any means, but if it
>> helps us uncover potential bugs in the app, the sooner the better.
>
> Sorry I actually didn't read the rest of the thread, just jumped in :)
>
>>> As for setting up KDE on windows, the IMHO easiest method is simply
>>> using kdewin-installer, it can install all needed deps and
>>> kdelibs+pimlibs+base so you can start checking out kdegames. I'm not
>>> using MSVC though, as I like open source software and have the time to
>>> wait a bit longer for MinGW to finish.
>> I tried the kdewin-installer route :) But before you go down that road,
>> check with the kdewin guys.
>
> I should check with myself? Ok, granted I'm not really a kdewin-guy as
> I've mostly left that part of KDE hacking for nearly 5 months now. But I
> do actively monitor their work :)
>
>> Apparently using emerge is now the preferred
>> way, and the packages from the installer might not be compatible with
>> the ones you build via emerge at this time:
>
> I had a quick look and as far as I can see thats not for installing,
> thats for building your kde app. Of course I might just have overlooked
> something, but at least thats how the actions in the emerge source
> sounded. Anyway, not that important, I know the setup on win32 is still
> bumpy.

The kdewin-installer is for the end-user and 'app' - developer. It
installs all needed things to run kde apps and build 'external' apps
based on kdelibs.
emerge on the other side is for the kde(libs) developer. It compiles all
from source so the developer can debug al things down to qt.

> Oh, last but not least: If you find problems that are specific to win32,
> please send a mail to the kde-windows mailinglist as AFAIK noone (except
> myself) of the kdewin-people read this list.

Yes, please. Also if you've problems setting up a build env - don't
think anyone can help you on kde-games-devel with that :)

btw: we've also an irc channel: #kde-windows

And regarding your kgoldrunner problem - looks like someone forgot to
read the QPainter docu. I really wonder why it worked on linux ... :)

HTH
Christian

btw: moved dicussion to kde-windows