[Kde-windows] general question about win32 port

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Oct 27 06:58:06 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2005 01:25 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:
> Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2005-10-27 00:49:
> >>
> >>Just my 2 eurocents:
> >>
> >>I must be ugly here and mentione this again: I only think about port of
> >>kdelibs and some other libraries. Thus, IMO this is mostly offer for
> >>developers. If so, end-users will look at the project as a (sub)set of
> >> KDE applications, not as a replacement for their desktop.
> >>
> >>Sorry if this is obvious; Ralf knows this position well, but if anybody
> >>wanted to see some more explanation, see here:
> >>http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32
> >
> > I know this and the thread is not to hurt, but I like to know what people
> > think overall. You will attract users with applications not with
> > frameworks
>
> Yes, so we're talking about porting applications, _not_ desktop. Hence,
> KDElibs and KDE apps win32 port, not "KDE port".

Yes. In my experience from kde-cygwin it will probably possible to replace
most parts of explorer with KDE applications to have a KDE desktop on
windows, but this is a different topic, may be coming sometime in the future.

The market on windows is quite different from the unix market. There are
already several good frameworks like dot.net , Qt, wxWidgets, gtk and it will
be not easy  as on linux to convince people why they should use the KDE
framework execpt there are very good reasons.

> > (at least in the beginning), so it is important to have good applications
> > from the beginning, some real killer apps like kdevelop.  If users will
> > see them *and* they are good, they will ask 'With which was this
> > developed - 'KDE framework'  aha - and it is platform independent, open
> > source and  lgpl licensed - where can I get it'  and then it's your turn.
> > :-)
>
> Yeah, perfectly right. These sentences could be the motto of our effort.

> Many users will not notice their favourite app is in fact KDE app, but many
> others probably start recognizing that.

Every KDE application has a help entry "over KDE". This could be used for
marketing in any way.

> PS: see also: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1571

PS: Yesterday I had initial running kdebugdialog from kdebase (it does not
read kdebugrc but main windows comes up)

Regards