[Kde-windows] general question about win32 port

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Oct 27 01:25:30 CEST 2005

Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2005-10-27 00:49:

> Am Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2005 00:37 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:
>
>>Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2005-10-26 23:57:
>>
>>>currently there are some people working on the bksys build system for a
>>>win32 port of KDE.
>>
>>Just my 2 eurocents:
>>
>>I must be ugly here and mentione this again: I only think about port of
>>kdelibs and some other libraries. Thus, IMO this is mostly offer for
>>developers. If so, end-users will look at the project as a (sub)set of KDE
>>applications, not as a replacement for their desktop.
>>
>>Sorry if this is obvious; Ralf knows this position well, but if anybody
>>wanted to see some more explanation, see here:
>>http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32
>

> I know this and the thread is not to hurt, but I like to know what people
> think overall. You will attract users with applications not with frameworks

Yes, so we're talking about porting applications, _not_ desktop. Hence,
KDElibs and KDE apps win32 port, not "KDE port".

> (at least in the beginning), so it is important to have good applications
> from the beginning, some real killer apps like kdevelop.  If users will see
> them *and* they are good, they will ask 'With which was this developed - 'KDE
> framework'  aha - and it is platform independent, open source and  lgpl
> licensed - where can I get it'  and then it's your turn. :-)

Yeah, perfectly right. These sentences could be the motto of our effort.

Many users will not notice their favourite app is in fact KDE app, but many
others probably start recognizing that.
PS: see also: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1571

--
regards / pozdrawiam,