[Kde-windows] general question about win32 port

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Oct 27 00:49:05 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2005 00:37 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:
> Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2005-10-26 23:57:
> > currently there are some people working on the bksys build system for a
> > win32 port of KDE.
>
> Just my 2 eurocents:
>
> I must be ugly here and mentione this again: I only think about port of
> kdelibs and some other libraries. Thus, IMO this is mostly offer for
> developers. If so, end-users will look at the project as a (sub)set of KDE
> applications, not as a replacement for their desktop.
>
> Sorry if this is obvious; Ralf knows this position well, but if anybody
> wanted to see some more explanation, see here:
> http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32

I know this and the thread is not to hurt, but I like to know what people
think overall. You will attract users with applications not with frameworks
(at least in the beginning), so it is important to have good applications
from the beginning, some real killer apps like kdevelop.  If users will see
them *and* they are good, they will ask 'With which was this developed - 'KDE
framework'  aha - and it is platform independent, open source and  lgpl
licensed - where can I get it'  and then it's your turn. :-)

regards