Moving utils.kde.org informations to the wikis

Rolf Eike Beer eb at emlix.com
Thu Sep 12 09:51:26 BST 2019

Am Montag, 29. Juli 2019, 17:47:06 CEST schrieb Carl Schwan:
> Hello,
>
> I saw Jonathan mails about killing utils.kde.org and moving all informations
> to the wikis. So I started with KGpg:
> https://community.kde.org/KDE_Utils/KGpg

This took me way longer than promised, sorry for that. And thanks for Elvis
for poking me.

> I updated the building information a bit. I linked to Get
> Involved/development because we shouldn't duplicate information and added
> information for the .kdesrc-build users about the two debug flags.
>
> I didn't know what to do with the links to https://api.kde.org/4.x-api/
> kdeutils-apidocs. Are these links still normal (the 4.x part) or are there
> some more up-to-date links somewhere?

The URL is misleading, but this looks like it is the current documentation. I
guess the link for 4.14 can just be dropped. Back in the KDE4 days this was
just trunk and stable branch, but 4.14 is so long ago that we can safely drop
it now. I don't know if we have a similar URL for the stable branch right now.

BUT: this brings up another question. I'm usually late on updating the version
numbers and with it the links on the website already. Luckily I only have to
do a single commit and the PHP code then generates everything for us, but what
about the wikis? Who is going to update all the version numbers and links on a
new release? This must be somehow automated, otherwise whoever is in charge of
this will run mad, especially when people start complaining that links were
forgotten.

> Before I start doing the same with all the util projects, I would like to
> get some feedback. :)

So, this looks good. The IRC channels from the "Contact" page are not
mentioned anywhere, they should probably be shown on https://
community.kde.org/KDE_Utils.

So, in general: yes, please go on, but find a way how we can get those links
updated when a new release comes out.

Eike
--
Rolf Eike Beer, emlix GmbH, http://www.emlix.com
Fon +49 551 30664-0, Fax +49 551 30664-11

emlix - smart embedded open source