klaptopdaemon

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu May 1 20:53:37 CEST 2008

Hi Thomas,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2008, um 01:42 Uhr, schrieb Thomas Gillespie:
> Quick status update on klaptopdaemon.

Thanks.

> I emailed Danny Kukawka, he said he was porting to kde4 but not solid
> atm. After a short discussion I got the impression that he works alone. I
> don't know about anyone else, but not using solid seems like a bit of a
> wasted oppertunity, so heres my (partially implemented) plan.
>
> I'm taking the gui stuff from kpowersave, giving the ui files to qdesigner
> and tweaking to make them qt4. I'm then going to write the code around
> those, which I've started and progressed quite far, stealing bits from
> kpowersave if needed.

It's a little bit sad to hear that you are not teaming (yet ;) but noone can
be forced to do so. Perhaps Danny might still later join, at least he already
has a KDE SVN account :)

So I can move klaptopdaemon from kdeutils to unmaintained now, right?

> There are a few things that I cant find suitable
> solid replacements for, such as the autodim, dpms etc.... but maybe I
> could get in touch with the solid team about that. Anyway, I've dumped
> my very very very initial codebase in playground/utils/kde4powersave/ if
> anyone wants a look. Some things work, such as the suspend buttons
> and CPU frequency buttons in the context menu, and the
> settings/schemes saving code is there, they just dont do much atm.
>
> Suggestions, or even patches, are more than welcome.

There you go:

Please add an entry about kde4powersave to playground/utils/INDEX. And include
it in playground/utils/CMakeLists.txt.

More changes needed for the kde4powersave CMakeLists.txt:
a) Do not hardcode "/usr/kde4/lib/libsolidcontrol.so", but use
just "solidcontrol", the buildsystem finds out the location itself. You might
ask the solidteam why there is no "${SOLIDCONTROL_LIB}" or such defined. I
just found "${SOLID_LIBS}" which does not include libsolidcontrol.
b) you forget to add an install instruction:
	install(TARGETS kde4powersave  DESTINATION ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR} )
should do it.

Then you might add a .desktop file to describe kde4powersave (used by menu,
krunner, ...). To have it installed add
	install( FILES kde4powersave.desktop  DESTINATION ${XDG_APPS_INSTALL_DIR})
to CMakeLists.txt.

For others browsing the repository a little README file in the toplevel
directory is always helpful. It should contain a little description what this
code is about, whom to contact and what the plans are.

Important: You need to add proper copyright headers, it is needed for every
file not generated automatically, as described here [LP]. Make sure you are
also following the licenses for code you took from kpowersave.

[LP] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy

An About entry in the menu starting a KAboutDialog would be great.

Thanks :)
Friedrich