power manager in 4.2

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 19 17:58:56 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:28:40AM -0400, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> In my opinion, power management should be an integral part of the
> desktop and not depend on having started or not a particular
> application.

An application can be an integral part of the desktop, especially a plasmoid.

> The settings for power management should be part of the
> system settings.

Why?  Since power management has its own interface its more logical to
control it through there.  system settings is for settings that don't
otherwise have an interface.

> Thus from an infrastructure point of view, I think
> PowerDevil is the way to go: it combines a KDED module, a kcmodule and
> a plasmoid.

What does the kded module do?  Power management already has a daemon
(HAL) and an API to use it (Solid).

>I've not tried it myself, though, as it doesn't compile
> "out of the box" using kdesvn-build. So I don't know about the UI.
> Note that there is also another power manager under development:
> lithium (http://rbitanga.blogspot.com/2008/08/powered-by-lithium.html).
> I think it would be great to channel all those efforts (guidance,
> kde4powersave, lithium) into PowerDevil.

This doesn't answer my question of which will be ready for KDE 4.2.

Jonathan