power manager in 4.2

Guillaume Pothier gpothier at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:28:40 CEST 2008

Hi,
In my opinion, power management should be an integral part of the
desktop and not depend on having started or not a particular
application. The settings for power management should be part of the
system settings. Thus from an infrastructure point of view, I think
PowerDevil is the way to go: it combines a KDED module, a kcmodule and
a plasmoid. I've not tried it myself, though, as it doesn't compile
"out of the box" using kdesvn-build. So I don't know about the UI.
Note that there is also another power manager under development:
lithium (http://rbitanga.blogspot.com/2008/08/powered-by-lithium.html).
I think it would be great to channel all those efforts (guidance,
kde4powersave, lithium) into PowerDevil.