power manager in 4.2

Guillaume Pothier gpothier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:13:25 CEST 2008

> An application can be an integral part of the desktop, especially a plasmoid.

Maybe I should have said "system" instead of "desktop". Currently with
kde4powersave if you remove the plasmoid you loose power management,
for instance nothing happens if you close your laptop lid, and so on.
I don't think it is a good thing.

>> The settings for power management should be part of the
>> system settings.
>
> Why?  Since power management has its own interface its more logical to
> control it through there.  system settings is for settings that don't
> otherwise have an interface.

By "interface" do you mean user interface?
I think the plasmoid could open the proper kcmshell if the user
right-clicks it and wants to perform configuration. But the
configuration should still be accessible somewhere if the plasmoid is
absent. Power management is such an important part of the system that
I think it makes sense to configure it through system properties.

> What does the kded module do?  Power management already has a daemon
> (HAL) and an API to use it (Solid).

The kded module handles power management events, for instance
suspending when the lid is closed or hibernating when battery reaches
critial level. Having this event management as a kded module is what
allows for power management to work when there is no plasmoid.

> This doesn't answer my question of which will be ready for KDE 4.2.

Well I don't know that but I can certainly have a try at implementing
the plasma applet for PowerDevil. I think it is mostly an issue of
porting the applet from kde4powersave.