updating handbook of Okteta (was: Re: ark handbook outdated?)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Aug 4 17:54:13 CEST 2008

Am Montag, 4. August 2008, um 16:36 Uhr, schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> Am Sonntag 03 August 2008 22:19:36 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> > Am Sonntag, 3. August 2008, um 21:58 Uhr, schrieb Burkhard Lück:
> > > File->Export Values, Plain Text, C array, View in Plain Text, what is
> > > the difference to these items in Edit->Copy as?
> >
> > So this is not obvious? Hm...
>
> Yes, you are right, I was just confused by Edit->Copy not working as
> expected.
>
> > > What is the tool Versions?
> >
> > It is not build in the release version, at least should not be.
>
> With "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$installdir $moduledir" the Versions
> tool is enabled.

IIRC default build is some kind of debug build, so the Version tool showing up
is to be expected. It is just the release build, where this tool/monitor is
disabled.

> "Pressing the Insert key toggles between overwrite and insert modes"
> When I press Insert, editing data is not working properly (cut, copy, past,
> add, enter or delete a char) stable + trunk

What do you mean with "not working properly"? Works all as intended here.

> Edit->Copy+Cut+Paste does not work with the clipboard, nothing visible in
> klipper, is there an internal buffer?

Currently copy and cut send data to the clipboard with the
mimetype "application/octetstream", Klipper does not know how to display
that. And almost all other program cannot handle this, too, as this is simpy
raw data. But KHexEdit and other Okteta program instances can, so it works.

But this seems not to be what people expect. Will perhaps change this for 4.2
to also copy the chars or the values as "text/plain", depending of the active
column.

> Binary Filter -> Operation is empty in trunk

Ouch, indeed. Will fix this...

> Attached the modified documentation, please review, feedback welcome, just
> some plain text is ok.

Please, could you send this as diff, so I can spot what the changes are? E.g.
the output of "svn diff $file" would help.

Gruß
Friedrich

--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor, coming to you with KDE 4.1